I hate giving "leader's instruction" lessons. Actually, I hate giving lessons in RS, period. It scares me. It scares me even more when I've got to do the whole "inspiration" thing and come up with a topic.
Always an answer to prayer, Tia Jen saved the day with her writings. Tia's blogging last month inspired me (see here:elpasorepresentyo: Happy July. ) I began searching out talks that focused on the divinity of women. Sifting through INCREDIBLY AWESOME talks was no easy feat. The VERY abbreviated list:
The Joy of Womanhood
Are We Not All Mothers
Live Up to Your Inheritance
How Can I Become the Woman of Whom I Dream?
Rise to the Stature of the Divine Within You
What It Means to be A Daughter of God
I truly urge you to take a sec and read through all of these!! Some are really quite short, and well worth the read!
Anyhow.... I wound up narrowing in on this one:
If Thou Art Faithful
At first this talk didn't seem to capture what I was "going for". But it kept coming back as the one to focus on, so I delved deeper and really fell in love with this talk and it's message.
I love the question that is posed at the beginning of this talk. "What does God expect of me?" How many times have I asked this very question??! Especially on a particularly crummy day.
What does God expect of me??????? Wouldn't we ALL like to know?!??!?!?!
Thanks to modern revelation given through the prophet Joseph Smith to Emma and also to ALL of us women, we can find the answer to this question in the 25th section of the Doctrine & Covenants! President Hinckley breaks it down in this talk and expounds upon this revelation in a way that only a prophet of the Lord can. One of my favorite quotes from this talk : " No woman can afford to demean herself, to belittle herself, to downgrade her abilities or her capacities." -Pres. Hinckley
If anything, the talk inspired GREAT comments and discussion during the lesson. It reminded me to keep turning to the Lord for the help that I need. It reminded me that I am glad I have Tia in my life. I am grateful for Tia and her ability to constantly look inward, evaluate and improve herself. She inspires me. I am grateful for an incredible mother and amazing sisters. They are important women in my life who provide the support and love that is necessary for me to keep striving to find the divinity within.



3 comments:
YOu rule. I am proud of you for speaking in your RS--I know that those labies are intimidating! Thanks for the shout out--it means a lot.
Great thoughts...I'm going to be reading all the articles you've linked to. Thanks chica!
la yen- thanks, you're the best!
queen- hope you enjoy the talks!
Post a Comment