There's no such thing. I'm sure there are many who would contend with me on this. I don't believe in unbiased opinion. There's probably not too much anyone can say to convince me otherwise.
(Because I'm biased.
)
My dad first introduced me to this idea. "Don't believe anyone when they tell you they're giving you an unbiased opinion," he would say. "Everyone has SOME sort of bias. It could be teeny/ huge. Good/bad. You're better off knowing WHAT the bias is, and hearing it's opposite, than believing that you're getting a completely UNbiased opinion."
I used to tell my dad that I disagreed with his BIASED opinion. ;-) I take it back. He's right.
Oh sure, what about the news? What about the courts? What about ________? ALL biased in SOME way or another. Does that mean we can't get any good information? No good judgements or rulings can be made? I don't think so.
I do think you are sorely misguided if you believe that YOUR news source is the unbiased one. Some news sources openly declare a bias. Others choose not to. I repeat, there is ALWAYS some sort of bias. It might make your ears bleed to flip over to some conservative station. Perhaps you'll scratch your eyes out after watching a liberal newscast. Maybe you're actually scared of the purportedly "unbiased" resources. But really, aren't we better off for exposing ourselves? I think so. I'm guilty of sinking into the rut of getting my news updates from my favorite station. But I have a more rounded view of things when I remember to "mix it up" a bit. Bite my tongue, open my ears and listen to the other side now and again. Not so I can mock, or criticize, but actually LISTEN. If anything, it's a lesson in patience. It helps remind me that we are all down here just trying to do our best. It helps mold my opinion into something a little less one-sided.
The courts. Unfortunately, we have had some judges make very biased decisions in our courts. Are judges exempt from having a bias? No. It's weird that we must rely on naturally biased humans to make "unbiased" decisions in our courts. But it works. Constitution Day, this past Sunday, brought this topic to mind. The Constitution actually takes into account the fact that men will naturally form biases. What an inspired document! When we strive to uphold the Constitution we actually are provided a safeguard against human bias!!
I feel myself pulling in another direction now. So I will end on this:
Do you know what your bias is? If you don't, I recommend that you find out.



5 comments:
Ooooohhh...I like this topic. I seldom hear any 'news' anymore without wondering what motives have been put into play.
I am aware of my own bias. I also know that I am ok with getting my news (still with salt) from any outlet except Fox, because they are WAY to out there for me. I do LOVE hearing the same story from two news sources when they have remarkably different story content. Tickles me.
The wonderful thing about our constitution are the checks and balances: court decisions can be over-turned at the next level and we can always pass amendments.
When I was getting my degree we were trained to find the bias in the sources that we were viewing. It's a fun exercise. I feel, that despite my personal bias, I am able to offer an unbiased perspective by providing both sides of an argument if I'm asked to do so.
As long as you don't tell her she is wrong.
True Dat
I am ALWAYS right and I ALWAYS win.
Thank you.
That is all.
;-)
Post a Comment