Friday, April 20, 2007

Kefir, anyone?

Folks... I think I'm turning into a hippie. I'm making my own Kefir on my kitchen counter!!!

I'd never even HEARD the word kefir before my midwife mentioned it. "Ke-WHAT???" It took me forever to find it on the internet because I kept spelling it wrong. I started out picking up a bottle here and there from Henry's or Winco. Tasty enough. Basically like a more liquid consistency yogurt. I'd use it in my smoothies each morning. It didn't take long before I was HOOKED. About a week. My insides feel good! Things run smoothly. No pregnancy digestion woes. AT ALL. Managed to make it through the last two bouts of sickness that ran through our house completely unscathed. (I've now added kefir to my daughter's diet to boost her immune system a bit.)

Now this is where it gets crazy. Within the few short months after my discovery of kefir I am hearing about it EVERYWHERE! I just saw it on a recent AOL Health article on "super foods", read a blurb about kefir in a magazine, and found out that this chick in our ward and her mother (also in our ward) make their OWN kefir. Am I the LAST person on the face of the planet to find out about kefir?!?!?!??!

So now, not only am I addicted to kefir and it's effects, but it's supposedly a "super food" that I shouldn't do without and EVERYONE else knows about it!!!!!

The only catch? Kefir was doing a number on my budget. The fix? Get in touch with the kefir ladies in my ward and acquire some fresh, live kefir grains so I can make my OWN kefir!!!!!!

So I did. And I am. Making my own kefir.

On my kitchen counter.

P.S. It was free, due to the generosity of my kefir loving sisters and their over-abundance of kefir grains. Mine are already growing. If anyone close by needs some, let me know. I will share the wealth.

5 comments:

La Yen said...

I have never heard of this. And we have ZERO health food stores here (our ONE never was able to recover from last year's floods--they had to shut down for a month, and were not able to really get back together again and so went belly-up), and no raw milk, so I guess I will never hear of it, either.

Bek said...

Hi there!! When I lived in Russia about one hundred million years ago we would drink kifier every day. I had no idea it had health benefits or was something other than runny, Russian yougurt.

Go figure!! We can get it at Safeway here.... :-) Sorry Yen

Guileless Mom said...

La Yen made me feel better about not being the last person to hear of kefir.... and then Bek had to come and tell me she drank it a million years ago!!! ;)

Guileless Mom said...

P.S. You don't need raw milk to make kefir. That doc's personal opinion is that raw milk is better than pasteurized. Period. Kefir-ized or not.
I use regular 2% milk from Stater Bro's. Even organic milk is out of my budget right now and my little kefir grains are doing their thing with no probs! The lady who I got the grains from only went organic 4 months ago and she's been making kefir for about a year and a half! Her daughter does kefir in apple juice. (The kefir won't keep growing in the juice like it will in milk so you have to replace the grains every so often.)

Lorell said...

Love the kefir! Pro/Prebiotics are the key to good health! Who knew that our health started in our Intestines!

Who is your midwife?

I still am excited to hear about your pregnancy/birth plan/etc!