Thursday, January 17, 2008

endorsements and such

How did I not know that Judge Bork endorsed Mitt Romney last month????!! I've been SO out of the loop for the last month that I didn't even notice!!

Rock on, Mitt!


I love Judge Bork! His theories on judicial activism are so right on. The whole point is for the people to govern themselves! Just because you are in a position of power does not mean you should get to decide how things should be in this country.

I guess I sort of follow the "originalist" school of thought on most things because it just makes the most sense to me. This is a totally bad comparison, but I relate it to the scriptures. If the meaning and interpretation of the scriptures just changes with them whims of the world and whoever happens to have power at the time they don't serve much purpose or provide much guidance. I believe the original framing of the constitution was inspired. The "living constitution" theories tend to follow along the lines of, "they couldn't have known" or "foreseen" so we need to change things here and there/add a lot of nonsense to make it (the constitution) work in todays world. I'm not down with that.

Also, I love Justice Holmes and Scalia's thoughts on original MEANING vs. original intent. So straightforward!!! I'm fascinated with the importance of words and their meaning. Thanks to a book from my fave Tia: Fire in the Bones. (This books is an ALL TIME fave of mine. Read it. You will love it. )

I know my understanding of these theories is myopic and a bit provincial. But this is my small understanding of things and gives a background on WHY I would even care about Judge Bork's opinion in the first place. ...In case you were wonderin'. ;-)

No comments: