For the last month or two, the topic that pops in to my head every time I think about blog writing, is politics. I hate writing about politics. But it's such an important part of life. Especially in a democracy! ....and it takes up a large portion of my thoughts these days. So in an effort to keep my mind clear, I will be posting various comments and reactions to the myriad of political media that has been flooding through my mind these days. I will also try to share the media directly on this blog when at all feasible. Hang tight!
oh, and to start things off, I thought I'd share a video that gives a glimpse of what's happening to "Yes on 8" supporters here in the lovely state of California.
I experienced a first hand encounter with "no on 8" intolerance when standing at a corner with a "yes on 8" sign just yesterday. Some friendly folks drove by and shouted obscenities while holding out a "no on 8" sign and throwing pens, trash and junk at us as they drove by. A large dry erase marker even made it into the chucking. Luckily, no one was hurt. But honestly, it really had an impact on my respect for the opposition. (In case you were wondering, it went down.) ;)
This is a hot topic. It touches the core of my deeply held morals and convictions just as much as it touches the core of the opponents deeply held convictions. I get it. I get that this means a lot to you. But you know what? It means just as much to me!!! There is no getting around the fact that there are passionate claims and strongly held opinions on both sides of this debate.
NOTHING in the Yes on 8 campaign promotes bigotry, hate speech, discrimination, intolerance or restriction of RIGHTS against others. We wish to define marriage as being between a man and woman. PERIOD.
So when I am practicing my right to free speech and standing on a public corner holding signs along with others who share my opinion, don't honk. Don't wave. Shake your head in disagreement or whatever it is you want to do to show disapproval. Flip the bird and I'll even flash you a peace sign in return. (Which was my response each time it happened on that corner.) Take it a step further, and get on your own corner and hold up your own sign. Or share a corner and hold up your sign.
But please, can you stop the hate.
Oh yah, and about this video: Post your signs all over the same plot of land that you see my signs posted on. Post your signs on additional plots of land. Spread your message. You're entitled. As am I. Please, leave MY signs alone!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love to see how dedicated you are to this. Great job.
way to be Ames~the truth will stand...will we stand with it?
love. mom.
Post a Comment