Thursday, January 12, 2006

Goal for the year: SIMPLIFY

This time of year I like to weed out, clean house, start fresh and reevaluate my priorities. All of the projects and ideals I've heaped onto my plate throughout the year are going through a thorough scrutinizing as I figure what I need to do to keep life SIMPLE. It's SOOOO hard. I've started out with my top 5 important priorities.... then oooh wait these 3 too.... ooh ...1 more... ok I just have to add this ONE last thing to the list.... Then I sit back and go, "Wait a minute... what happened to SIMPLIFY??!?" I feel like Navin Johnson sometimes.. "And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp.".... You get the point.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.--Leonardo da Vinci

7 comments:

Carina said...

As a recovering pack rat, those two sides of me push and pull. I want to clear out the detrius that surrounds me, but what if I need it? I've been deleting items from my house lately. I want the courage to delete more.

QueenScarlett said...

Love that quote by da vinci...

Guileless Mom said...

Deleted. ("BUH-leted!!!!!!!!!!!") I like that. Some things need to just be deleted from life right now!!! I'
ve been thinking of an old conference talk...maybe someone remembers it? I believe they were saying something along the lines of "Get your priorities in order and scale down. You can have 20 things that are all great. But there IS such thing as 'too much of a good thing'" I believe they were referring to us having so many "extracurricular" things going on that we don't have enough time for the important core items. All of these extracurricular's can be absolutely wonderful things.. but all in all.. there are just TOO many good things!!

Aurgh!!! So frustrating.... I just have to remember there is alot of time to eventually get to everything that I would like to get to.


Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your
affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a
thousand. Simplify, simplify.
--Henry David Thoreau

La Yen said...

I am a huge fan of thinking of life in terms of seasons. There is a season for everything--I am not sad that my house is not spotless--there is a season for that, and right now my season is playing with The Jooj. There is a season for stuff, too. For example--it is our season to get out of debt, not start five new hobbies or buy a fancy car. It is not my season to stamp and scrapbook all day, but my season to cook dinners and help the stinking young women. So I don't buy as mych stuff, that way.
I miss you guys so much!

Guileless Mom said...

Tia~
Love the season mentality! Think I will adopt that also!

P.S. Having second thoughts about the diaper bag deal... sewing is definetly a "labor of love" for me. Don't know if I could bring myself to sew for money!!! =) Will give it a third thought....

La Yen said...

Um, I gave your number to two more people. Sorry. I'll start telling them it was an orignal...

La Yen said...

THREE MORE PEOPLE WANT ME TO GIVE THEM MY BAG!!!!