Saturday, January 07, 2006

What's in a name?

In response to some recent conversation on names....

I like names. Not all names. But in general, I like names. They give distinction. Sometimes they define who you are. I like the stories that are attached to names. Stories of how the name came about (or how it came to be used for a particular person/how it was chosen), how they designated the bearer as a particular being, how they have shaped..or not shaped... a person's life. Names are interesting.

I'm fascinated with the importance of names in the scriptures throughout time and eternity.

That being said... some names make me laugh.

Recently, in commenting on my sis'law's blog, I shared the story of a girl named Wrigley. This name is hideous to me. Particularly for a girl. The parents who gave this name, of course, think it is splendid. They love the Wrigley (chewing gum) family and are really into the whole Catalina Island connection. Nice story... I like that there was thought behind the name. Still, hideous.

I don't think there is a person out there who hasn't an opinion on names.

Here are some stories behind a few family names.

Myself: Amy Lyn
I'll start by explaining how this name came about. My mom brought it to the table. She loved the name and it's meaning (beloved). I'm the oldest. Being the first born (and obviously most beloved ;-) teehee) a "beloved" name seemed to fit. My dad, on the other hand, HATED the name. Couldn't help but connect it to a person from his past who he did not want HIS daughter to be associated with. (Isn't it funny how important this is to most people???!!!!) Mom also really wanted the French spelling (Aimee) to go along with the French ancestry and last name that was contributed by my father. Dad was SO not feelin' it.

Birthday. Dad flew to New York for somewhere between 48-72 hours (don't remember this detail..Mom??) to interview for optometry school. I decided to come 2 weeks "early" (Hey I was on time!! Everyone else was just two weeks BEHIND!) Doctor at the hospital talked about how much he loved his daughter, Amy.

Mom... having gone through 20 something hours of birth with no husband present... no family at all for that matter (A great "motherly" figure in her life was present but asleep and of no help during labor because, "In (her) day, they just knocked us out to have babies!") decided.. " Hey. I'm naming this baby what I want to name her!!!" Amy!!! ...... she went with the doctor's spelling.....

Karen Nicole
Family, correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Mom wanted Nicole. Dad didn't want people calling his little girl a "boy" name (Nikki) which he was SURE would happend (probably right). My little brother Brian one day while talking to Mom's belly says.... "Karen Nicole" "Kare-ee" Karen Nicole is in there.

Laura Elizabeth
Laura was Jessica. No questions. Jessica Lauren. They weren't able to tell if she was boy or girl during utlrasound (a WHOLE 'nother story in itself) But if she turned out to be a girl.... it was Jessica Lauren. Birthday. Mom & Dad call everyone to tell us that "Jessica Lauren" was born. After hanging up they both concur that she is not a "Jessica Lauren". But with no backups, decide to take her home for the weekend without a name!!! Thank goodness the registrar had already gone home for the weekend!! I'll never forget that weekend of testing out names on my baby sister!! We'd watched closely to see if she responded to anythign in particular (which, by the way, she didn't....) Rachel, Elaura, Elizabeth... those were the front runners... I honestly don't remember the MANY names we called her that weekend. In then end.... a family name wound up in the mix and she became Laura Elizabeth.

Ken & Linda (mom & dad)
Meaning: Handsome & beautiful. I always thought this was cute when I was a kid. Cute.

Heidi Belen
Sometimes I still wonder how we came to "Heidi". Belen was in the running since marriage. Joe brought that to the table from his mission. Meaning Bethlehem. He wanted it REAL bad. I have this thing with "ethnic" names on white kids.... as much as I LOOOVE alot of "ethnic" names... it's just not right... sorry.. you don't have the heritage.... you don't get dibs on those names..... With a mission connection persuading me, I decided to alter my rule a bit to restate "White kids don't get to have "ethnic" FIRST names.. middle names are up for grabs" Middle names tend to be freebies anyway... it's like the middle square on bingo.

Heidi. Still, not entirly sure how we came to that name. Only the process involved me writing out HUGE, mile long lists of names that I loved, liked and am/was "interested in". I would make Jos go over this list with me nightly during the beginning of pregnancy. Names would drop left and right. He never had any to ADD to the list... just take off. His only contribution was Belen. This name choosing process was pure torture for him. muahhahahaha

Luckily it was torturous because that was the only thing that made me feel justified when he ABSOLUTELY 100% REJECTED my entire "loved" list of names.

Here is my name choosing criteria:

1. Not too common (please, no top 10)
2. Not too creative/ uncommon.
3. Not made-up.
4. Not unisex.
5. No "creative" spelling
6. A good meaning (a name the means "fly catcher" or "one who has green teeth" would not have made it)

Other elements included:
6. Some sort of family/heritage tie
7. No weird link to past girlfriends/boyfriends/enemies, etc, etc, etc
8. Shouldn't create a weird or embarrassing acronym
9. Nothing "punny"

I believe Heidi was originally on the liked, or interested list. A Swiss nickname for a very German name tied in great with heritage. And the meaning "noble" or "Noble birthright" really struck a chord with both of us.

Besides... it just FITS her!





Ok.. too much typing has gone on here. I just missed an incredibly long shower/nap/"do something quick while the baby's sleeping" time slot.


Maybe someone can share that funny story from the Johnson family about G'pa Kent doing a name switcharoo on blessing day? That's a GOOD one!!!

One last philosphy on names. When it comes right down to it, mom's should always get the final say on the given name. Father's, you provide the surname. We could be wack like alot of new agers out there and choose what we want the kid to have has a last name... but I'm not buying it.... Dad's provide the last name, mom's get to choose the first name. You can compromise on the middle name if mom is willing.

What's the story behind your name? Your children's names?

6 comments:

~j. said...

Rae Lyn: Darin's middle name is Ray; mine is Lyn.

Taylor James: Taylor is Darin's mom's maiden name; James is my brother (and my uncle, and my grandfather, etc., etc.)

Emma Lorraine: Emma Jane Loy, an ancestor whose 100-year old Christening dress I wore when I was Christened as a baby (wanted so badly to bless my Em in it: no family members knew where it was); Lorraine is Darin's mom's middle name.

Clara Ellis: Clara is the name of another ancestor; Ellis is the first name of my dad's sister's long-time boyfriend (as in, from 2nd grade) who died 30 days before their wedding, and is beloved by our family. (That aunt of mine ended up marrying Ellis's best friend. I got permission before I took the name.)

I'm pretty sure that there won't be another Rae in her grade to worry about...in fact, a neighbor told me that her two sons met an elderly gentleman named Ray and said to their mom, "But that's a girl's name." :)

Em however...she was one of three Emmas in the hospital nursery on the night she was born. "Emma E." it is.

And Clara just gets "Claire" and, really, "Carla".

La Yen said...

My favorite whas when Joe and I had to convince Amy (at the CPK) that "Claire was a fat girl's name."

I believe that Grandpa Kent (Name: John Kent Johnson)changed Uncle Mike's name from "Guy" (Grandma's choice) to Michael at the blessing, but that could just be family lore...

The Jooj was named Georgia Grace because I desperately wanted to name her Peaches, but W put his foot down. So, she is my Georgia Peach. Grace, because she is ours through divine providence. The Jooj, because Ems called her Bibi Joo-Jah.

~j. said...

Uh-huh. And Gigi because... hm. Thank Heaven For Little Girls? ;)

Guileless Mom said...

~j. fun stories! love 'em!!!! Good names too!! but that song.. ughh that song.... who doesn't think of an old perverted man when you hear that song??!!!

Tia~ ohhh I remember that day well!!!! I'm still wistfully hoping for a girl to name Claire!!!!

Peaches Galan... does have a nice ring to it... Would've fit in better with Trixie Nelson.... ;-)

Carina said...

Hi Amy, I'm posting even though you don't know me. (But I know Jen & W.)

Belen! That's on my short list. Now, let's see me convince my husband of it (he put the ixnay on Marisol.)

William Angell: William is my grandfather's name and both my brother's and my husband's middle name Also, my husband's grandfather's name, and his other grandfather's middle name. Figured that would keep both sides of the family happy-happy (and it did. My mother-in-law cried because she felt we were honoring her father.) Plus, it's unfooled around with, it can grow with him and will never be stupid (sorry, Cody...)

The Angell because it can be both Spanish (as I am) and also because we're descended through Brigham Young's wife Mary Ann Angell and her brother, the SLC temple architect, Truman O. Angell.

Now, the truth is, I was always going to name him William Angell, even before I got married to my husband. So it's a good thing spouse caved at the last minute and agreed.

Now he's Guille, because it stuck.

Guileless Mom said...

Welcome Carina! Cool name story!