Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Modest T-Shirt Melee

5/08/06 UPDATE Check out this link: Tales From the Crib: Sorting Out the Modest T-shirt Melee (like their heading! =) and thanks for the tip Brittany!)
So I have a handful of Shade undershirts (Shade Clothing ~ Products ~ Modest Women's Clothing ~ Modest Apperal ~ Modest Clothes) that I've been wearing and one of them is already starting to unravel. I have no budget to replace it. But I still felt like shopping around just to see what my options are. (Read: "Felt like wasting time online because I can't sleep.")
I did a search for modest undershirts because I swear I've seen like 15 company's that are exactly my Shade shirt! I was curious if there would be more color/price options out there. Plus, the whole "shirts that barely cover your undergarments" craze that is all the rage among 20-something LDS chica's drives me crazy!! If a shirt only covers your undergarments if you're just wearing a certain style undergarment... that is just cuttin' it too close for me!!! Plus the undergarment style that the capsleeve shirts DO cover just BARELY covers them. So I was hoping to find something that was basically my Shade capsleeve but with just a little more sleeve! Not a t-shirt sleeve. Something that you could still layer, but that has a tad longer sleeve to it-- so that if it were the only thing covering my shoulder and upper arm it wouldn't be "pushing the limit" so to speak.
Annnnnnd this is what I came up with! Seriously! 12 or something here! The cool thing is that 2 or 3 of them actually had some shirts with a decent sleeve on them!
Sooooo... my question to YOU is: Have you tried any of these companies?? Who's your fave and why?? What are the pros & cons to your fave shirt? Is there a company I'm missing??
Please leave your own personal reviews and be as specific as you can as to why you like or do not like the product.

5 comments:

~j. said...

Hi, Amy. I've got a few ModBe shirts that have unraveled at the hem -- very frustrating. Plus, after washing, the sleeves tend to roll so I'm always being reminded that my religion is showing.

I did buy a few at an Apricot Apparel show (because one of the YW invited me) and was pleasantly surprised at how they looked when layered. I didn't think I'd like the lace-y bottom edge of the shirt but I like it as the under layer.

That's my experience. Hope it helps!

Guileless Mom said...

Thanks for the input! I was thinking of trying ModBe next... sounds like they're pretty much the same as Shade? The hunt continues!

La Yen said...

I have a few from ModBod and I love them. I wear them all the time--two tanks with lace and one cap sleeve. I am like you--I don't want to cut it close at all. I havve had good luck with mine--but when you go to Utah, there are a bunch of Kiosks in the mall that sell them, and I say some at Costco last time I was there...

Lisa said...

Hi, I'm Lisa. I have a couple of Downeast capsleeves shirts and I like them because 1. they are cheap 2. They wash up well 3. they have a scoop neck vs. a high neck 4. they are thin, so comfortable layering in the Summer.
I just got some "brand name"-I think it's Shade-at Costco for my birthday and I like them, but they are more substantial--thick, high neck, reinforced hem. They're better for wearing alone, or for the cooler months. Thanks for asking.

Guileless Mom said...

La Yen.. ModBod huh?

Lisa, welcome and thanks for the info! I was thinking of trying Downeast but was worried that cheap might equal crappy. Sounds like they're worth a try!