I started to spill my guts on her comments... then decided it'd be less rude if I spilled my guts on my own blog. I will probably come back and edit myself later. I have a habit of vomiting out horrendous "first drafts". But I wanted to get the topic out there again.
Ok... so here's where I bear my testimony of the Visiting Teaching program. No, seriously. I know it's a pain in the rumpus. To say the least.
But I also have this thing with church programs that an old seminary teacher taught me. It has really stuck with me. She talked about how we all have things in church that we pick and choose to be our least fave and talk ourselves out of participating in fully. She shared, for instance, (this was in the days of "Homemaking" not "enrichment night") that she wasn't all that in to "homemaking". Especially not the craftiness and whatnot. But she had a testimony that the prophet, as head of the church, oversees these programs. She had faith that if homemaking were not meant for her, then the prophet would do away with it. They're not trying to waste our time. So she went. Faithfully. Most times she'd just sit alongside and visit with people. Went home empty handed. But her spirit was nourished. Sometimes more than other times.

I've applied this lesson to myself SO many times with different church programs. I have to tell you, it's worked for VT with me. When I make an effort to be available for a visit and when I make an effort to have contact and share the VT message with my sisters I am blessed in ways I can't explain. It has strengthened my love for the sisters I have visited. It's built understanding and patience. It has helped me to learn and practice being an instrument in the hands of the Lord.
I think, too often, we sisters shy away from sharing the Visiting teaching message.
I now share at least SOME part of the VT message at every visit. Which seemed weird to me at first. But that's what we're ASKED to do. So I just went with it. You know what? It's changed EVERYTHING for me with VT. Sometimes we spent much less or more time talking about the lesson than other things we wanted to chat about. But because I had started the habit of always sharing the message, truths were spoken and there was an opportunity to feel the spirit. It's turned into a great habit that has taken the chatting and getting to know each other element and kicked it up a notch. Because blindly chatting can sometimes be uplifting and other times just time filling. Which is part of MY prob with VT. Sometimes you will hit if off and sometimes you just... WON'T. So why try and force a friendship? I think that is so wrong!! And unnecessary!
Prayer will be your guide in knowing what/how much to share of the message. Don't be afraid of it.

I don't make VT very glamorous. I'm not good at whipping up cute handouts or buying/making a gift for every visit. But that's not what we're asked to do. Funny things happen when you serve people. Bridges are built. I think the key, is in doing it the way that is outlined. We get sidetracked and overwhelmed by the "extra credits" of VT (bringing something, doing favors for the person, and being the person's best friend). When we pare it down and find a way to just strive for the basic VT that is asked of us, we are able to grow from that point. The extra credits will come naturally as different aspects of your watchcare relationship grow.
And you know that guideline that we should put VT before our other callings. Do it. See what happens. I'm serious. And if things slide on another calling (which I've found winds up RARELY happening BECAUSE OF VT) you have a great excuse. "Listen, I fulfilled my VT assignments this month. Something had to give."
Yes, people are lame and manage to bungle the most simple things! However, that does not change the true and correct principle of visiting teaching.
I know that the visiting teaching program IS for our benefit. The Lord wants to bless us and this is one of the opportunities He gives us to be blessed by Him.



2 comments:
Hee hee, that couldn't have been my mom that said that, could it? The woman who hates crafts?
I totally agree with you. I find that sometimes, we just share a little snippit of the lesson when we find that the sister needs to talk more about how her husband doesn't want to come to church anymore and her 5 kids are driving her crazy (like the woman we have right now), and sometimes, we get more into it. And yes, I've had those woman that I just know I'm not going to be best friends with no matter how hard I try, but I go, try to remember something she's told me that's important to her and ask her how she's doing with it, and give the lesson.
Mere, you best believe it!!
Two things I remember from your mom's class:
1. The Lord is not about to waste our time with things we don't need.
2. If a conference talk is bugging you, swallow your guilty pride and listen up!!
:)
Post a Comment